A few items I left out.
The Sears 1/16" pen-style flathead screwdriver (it's the one with the yellow top) works great on the so-called tri-wing GBA screws. I read some complaints about stripping, but I didn't have any troubles at all.
The part that I found most daunting* was removing the plastic sections from the front of the case to make room for the afterburner. As it turns out, you can buy pre-modded front case sections from Microsoft's favorite web site, http://www.lik-sang.com ; just check the GBA section. Handy if you want to skip the tedious dremelling/cutting. For most people this part takes the longest. It did for me anyway.
I've been reading the forum a bit (see below link-- dense, but lots of good hands on install advice in there) and it sounds like the AR film on the LCD does help a lot with the lack of contrast problem I have. So, whenever that arrives, I'll post my before and after impressions.
* except for the AR film I screwed up. It's hard to make sense of the addendums to the instructions on their web site, but this is one you want to make note of: INSTALL THE AR FILM IMMEDIATELY AFTER REVEALING THE LCD.