PDA

View Full Version : Games You Liked, Got Great Reviews, Yet No One Played?

Brian Rubin
08-14-2003, 11:54 AM
Okay, let's try this one on for size. What's a game that you adored, got great acclaimed, yet sold terribly, or not at all? I've got a few votes...

System Shock 2
Battlezone
Heavy Gear II
Both Kohan games

All excellent games that no one played, unfortunately.

Ergo
08-14-2003, 11:58 AM
Archimidean Dynasty.

Brian Rubin
08-14-2003, 11:58 AM
Archimidean Dynasty.
HELL YEAH! Loved that frigging game to death.

RepoMan
08-14-2003, 11:59 AM
I finished the first Kohan. LOVED it. Haven't started on Ahriman's Gift yet though :-( (I own it, just haven't gotten to it yet. I'm halfway through Warcraft III and have burnt out on it... maybe I'll drop it and get into K:AG!)

Freedom Force? Now THAT was fun. And unplayed by almost everyone! (Too bad, too -- I am still looking forward to the sequel, but looks like it's way back-burnered at Irrational....)

Brian Rubin
08-14-2003, 12:01 PM
Oh yeah, forgot about Freedom Force. An amazing game that barely anyone I know played. Shame, really, as it finally broke the "horrible superhero game" curse.

Prodigy
08-14-2003, 12:05 PM
Majesty, System Shock II, Netstorm, Outlaws, Grim Fandango, Descent 3.

I really liked The Thing too. Not perfect, for sure, but I liked it. First good movie adaptation I've played in years.

Prodigy
08-14-2003, 12:08 PM
Oh and I liked Shogo too, flawed but pretty good. I'd love a sequel.

John Many Jars
08-14-2003, 12:23 PM
Moonbase Commander.

And Grim Fandango too, but it seems like a lot of people have bought and played the $10 jewel case version over the past few years.

scharmers
08-14-2003, 12:24 PM
Independence War 2. The last of the epic hard-core space-sims.

--scharmers

JD
08-14-2003, 12:25 PM
Archimidean Dynasty Well, I guess AD (aka Schleichfahrt) it's a typical representant of Euro games that are hardly known in the NA market due to lack of marketing and coverage. Same for games like the Patrician series, Port Royale and Extreme Assault to name a few of them. One might want to add Vietcong. All of them sold quite well over here, but weren't advertised that much in the US.

Oh, and while we're at Archimidean Dynasty: damn them for taking the good aspects out of the game and creating Aquanox out of what was left.

Warlord of Mars
08-14-2003, 12:27 PM
Panzer Dragoon Orta, hands down. It's such a crime it didn't sell very well. Beautiful game.

Jakub
08-14-2003, 12:28 PM
Torment, obviously. Allegiance is another. Heretic 2. MDK 2. Treadmarks. Aliens vs. Predator and AvP2. Thief, Thief 2. Tribes. Nox. Sea Dogs. Motocross Madness 1 and 2. CMBB. Europa Universalis I and II. Pontifex. Shattered Galaxy.

scharmers
08-14-2003, 12:32 PM
CMBB is selling just fine, thank you. Battlefront has brought in some tasty sales from their two wargames, and this was before they partnered up with CDV.

--scharmers

Jakub
08-14-2003, 12:34 PM
CMBB is selling just fine, thank you.
Well, outside of this forum, nobody I know plays it.

Tom McNamara
08-14-2003, 12:38 PM
NOLF and NOLF 2

awdougherty
08-14-2003, 12:40 PM
Torment
Darklands
X-Tension (did reviewers like this one?)

John Reynolds
08-14-2003, 12:42 PM
Terra Nova. Squad based missions prior to the Tom Clancy games, Tribes-like outdoor maps, and in-game physics before it became an industry buzzword for watching dead bodies tumble down stairs or slump against uneven surfaces. Hands-down, the best PC title ever released.

Erik
08-14-2003, 12:48 PM
Global Ops.

Andrew Mayer
08-14-2003, 12:48 PM
Panzer Dragoon Saga

One of the hands down best adventure games ever made. Amazing story, and the best graphics the Saturn ever saw.

Sega actually joked about how hard the game was to get in their advertising, and it's currently going for over $200 on ebay...

Your Power Pill (http://www.levelupdesign.com/gamelog)

Jason Levine
08-14-2003, 01:02 PM
War Wind
Terra Nova
Final Liberation

Kent Pfeiffer
08-14-2003, 01:17 PM
The Ardennes Offensive by SSG. Great wargame, but thanks to its abysmal sales performance, we had to wait over six years for the sequel, Korsun Pocket, to see the light of day.

Charles
08-14-2003, 01:24 PM
MDK 2

sigh

Tyjenks
08-14-2003, 01:27 PM
Majesty, ....., Netstorm,......

Woohoo! on both of these.

I will also add Fireteam.

Desslock
08-14-2003, 01:28 PM
FreeSpace 2
Allegiance
Independence War 2
Planescape Torment
Giants: Citizen Kabuto

Jonathan Blow
08-14-2003, 01:31 PM
Terra Nova
Gothic

tromik
08-14-2003, 01:33 PM
1. Rails Across America (Fantastic strategy game)
2. Kohan IS
3. Europa Universalis II

Hmm, all Strategy First games.

Machfive
08-14-2003, 01:38 PM
Terra Nova. Squad based missions prior to the Tom Clancy games, Tribes-like outdoor maps, and in-game physics before it became an industry buzzword for watching dead bodies tumble down stairs or slump against uneven surfaces. Hands-down, the best PC title ever released.

That would've been a great game, if I could actually get it to run. I'm trying to remember what the hell my rig was back in the day. What year was that released?

VegasRobb
08-14-2003, 02:44 PM
Kohan: Immortal Sovereigns(sp)
Kohan: Ahriman's Gift

I wish Microsoft or someone with some cash would buy up the two above titles are rerelease K:AG. K:AG with Microsoft Network or Battlenet support would be a thing to behold.

I actually thought Freedom Force, NOLF 1 and 2 sold pretty well.

Nellie
08-14-2003, 02:48 PM
NOLF
Hostile Waters

Was going to nominate Tornado, but it was pretty big in the UK, probably for being not only a brilliant flight sim but pretty much the only one I've ever found for the RAF that doesnt involve a Spitfire. (Legend has it the RAF commissioned the designers to convert their ingame operation planner to use for the real thing).

Jason Lutes
08-14-2003, 02:51 PM

That would've been a great game, if I could actually get it to run. I'm trying to remember what the hell my rig was back in the day. What year was that released?

Dave Markell
08-14-2003, 03:27 PM
Freedom Force
Die by the Sword
Transport Tycoon (Deluxe version)
Planescape Torment

Draikin
08-14-2003, 03:41 PM
Giants, Sacrifice. Torment sold around 350k and was profitable.

milo
08-14-2003, 03:43 PM
"Last?" You mean, the last released so far?

--milo
http://www.starshatter.com

Brian Rubin
08-14-2003, 04:22 PM
"Last?" You mean, the last released so far?
Yes, I'm sure that's what it means, since all of us in the beta know how excellent Starshatter will be. ;)

TheWombat
08-14-2003, 04:28 PM
What's odd is that no one has done anything like Terra Nova in the era of 3D acceleration. The only things not to like in that game (from Looking Glass, btw) were the atrocious voice acting and FMV sequences (big deal) and the occasional obscene difficulty of some of the missions which required near split-second timing managing four distinct characters. But mostly it was a superb tactical shooter, with flair and style and a gritty sci-fi realism that Tribes and PlanetSide would kill to own.

As for wargames, well, wargames don't do the types of numbers that even show up on the radar of mainstream publishers. Even for Battlefront we have no reliable info on how many copies of CMBO or CMBB have actually been sold.

Nellie
08-14-2003, 04:34 PM
Transport Tycoon (Deluxe version)

I loved that game, still got it kicking around somewhere, but it doesnt like windoze 2k.

Brandon Clements
08-14-2003, 05:19 PM
I liked Crimson Skies, but I'm not sure that it sold badly.

Doug Erickson
08-14-2003, 05:59 PM
Kohan and Warlords Battlecry 2. The two best RTS games ever made, and they sold squat at retail.

Dave Long
08-14-2003, 08:32 PM
My two cents is simply to agree with Doug. That Kohan and Battlecry 2 were so overlooked is criminal.

--Dave

John Reynolds
08-14-2003, 08:45 PM
What's odd is that no one has done anything like Terra Nova in the era of 3D acceleration.

I'm still craving a 3D Magic Carpet from Bullfrog.

Supertanker
08-14-2003, 09:53 PM
I've got to throw in with NOLF and Battlezone. Loved them both, but it seemed like most of my friends never bought them.

nife2o4
08-15-2003, 08:51 AM
Since I haven't seen them mentioned here, I loved Disciples and Disciples 2. I don't think either of those games sold well at all, given how quickly they both hit the bargain bins. Disciples is at least showing up now in a few multi-game bargain pack.

They did just release the expansion packs for Disciples 2, so maybe the game sold better than I thought.

Scott Warner
08-15-2003, 09:20 AM
We did sell-through around 400k worldwide on Torment. There seems to be an ongoing legacy that the game did very poorly at retail, which isn't true. It actually sold more copies than the Fallouts did.

Those aren't Final Fantasy numbers, but it certainly was profitable for the company.

Scott Warner
08-15-2003, 09:23 AM
Battlezone.

Joe O'Malley
08-15-2003, 09:25 AM
What's odd is that no one has done anything like Terra Nova in the era of 3D acceleration.

I'm still craving a 3D Magic Carpet from Bullfrog.

I'm still craving Dungeon Keeper 3 from Bullfrog.

Jupiter Jones
08-15-2003, 10:12 AM
-Phantasie RPG series from SSI
-Twilight 2000
-Wages Of War
-Crimson Skies (after patches)

John Reynolds
08-15-2003, 10:15 AM
I'm still craving Dungeon Keeper 3 from Bullfrog.

DK2 was awesome, though I never finished it. Heard the latter missions were hard as all sh*t.

RepoMan
08-15-2003, 12:02 PM
Did Kohan really sell squat? Many people have cited it in this thread. But it did well enough to merit TWO sequels. That's generally not a sign of total retail death.

Anyone know the real story?

Tyjenks
08-15-2003, 12:21 PM
My two cents is simply to agree with Doug. That Kohan and Battlecry 2 were so overlooked is criminal.

--Dave

Me three. If it were not for Qt3 and the WBCII v. WCIII discussions, I would never have picked up Battlecry II. Kohan I upgraded my rotten old computer for.

Diamonds in the rough. Oh and Firetem. HAs anyone mentioned Fireteam.

Mark Asher
08-15-2003, 01:49 PM
Did Kohan really sell squat? Many people have cited it in this thread. But it did well enough to merit TWO sequels. That's generally not a sign of total retail death.

Anyone know the real story?

Squat. Actually, the last time I looked at NPD numbers it had sold something like 30,000-40,000 I think. Ahiman's Gift did significantly worse, though.

The second sequel is still looking for a publisher, I believe. That may tell you something.

Charles
08-15-2003, 01:53 PM
Freespace 2 is absolutely on this list. It is the best space combat game to date, and from what I've heard it barely sold 20000 copies. Sad times.

Also, on an off note, MDK2 actually won an award from IGN for "Best game no one played" on the Dreamcast.

Oppressor
08-15-2003, 03:04 PM
BattleSphere - yeah, so I wrote it, it still rocked, and in a universe that made sense, SOMEONE funded a PC/Console port (team-based networkable space shooter released in 2000). But we don't live in that universe, sigh...

Doug Erickson
08-15-2003, 04:05 PM
The second sequel is still looking for a publisher, I believe. That may tell you something.

Actually, it has a publisher, and I believe it's Infogrames/Atari.

Brian Rubin
08-15-2003, 04:14 PM
Actually, it has a publisher, and I believe it's Infogrames/Atari.
Actually, if I may correct you, Atari will be publishing Timegate's Axis and Allies game. They're still looking for a publisher for Kings of War, and it may or may not be Atari, because the TG folks wouldn't tell me. ;)

milo
08-15-2003, 07:17 PM
Freespace 2 is absolutely on this list. It is the best space combat game to date, and from what I've heard it barely sold 20000 copies. Sad times.
Well, no, it wasn't quite that bad. Almost, but not quite. The last numbers I saw on Freespace 2 said about 85,000 units in the US, which is just about half what the original Freespace sold.

Back in 1999, those were lousy numbers for a space sim. Today they would be phenomenal.

--milo
http://www.starshatter.com

MattKeil
08-15-2003, 07:23 PM
Ico. I don't think it quite bombed, but it certainly didn't sell in the numbers it deserved.

~MJK

Machfive
08-15-2003, 09:00 PM

Hrm. Depending on when in 1998 that was, I was either slogging around on my 486/DX2, or I was running a Pentium 166.

I suppose the latter would've been plenty to run it, if I remember the visuals correctly. Methinks it was pre-pentium, and I never gave it a second chance upon upgrading.

Machfive
08-15-2003, 09:01 PM
Freedom Force
Die by the Sword

I totally do not recall Die By the Sword getting good reviews. If my memory serves me (though it rarely does), its weapon swinging system was hailed as revolutionary (and to the woe of sword-related games everywhere, subsequently forgotten), but it had little else to offer.

Supertanker
08-15-2003, 09:03 PM
but it had little else to offer.

Ogre hockey!

Machfive
08-15-2003, 09:05 PM
What's odd is that no one has done anything like Terra Nova in the era of 3D acceleration. The only things not to like in that game (from Looking Glass, btw) were the atrocious voice acting and FMV sequences (big deal) and the occasional obscene difficulty of some of the missions which required near split-second timing managing four distinct characters. But mostly it was a superb tactical shooter, with flair and style and a gritty sci-fi realism that Tribes and PlanetSide would kill to own.

As for wargames, well, wargames don't do the types of numbers that even show up on the radar of mainstream publishers. Even for Battlefront we have no reliable info on how many copies of CMBO or CMBB have actually been sold.

As far as overall vibe, that "S.T.A.L.K.E.R.: Oblivion Lost" game seems quite similar, minus the squad-based combat. And if the game offers multiplayer, then I assume it would be a bit like Terranova.

Perhaps a mod for that game is in order, essentially using the engine to re-create Terra Nova.

/me waits for lazy internet effect to kick in

Incendiary Lemon
08-15-2003, 09:49 PM
eh?

Mike Hussey
08-17-2003, 01:48 PM
The enitire Looking Glass back catalogue starting with Terra Nova. All wargames with the possible exception of CM, although that was only a blockbuster in wargames terms.

Brian Rubin
08-17-2003, 06:42 PM
The enitire Looking Glass back catalogue starting with Terra Nova.
I couldn't agree more. The fact that Looking Glass' games did not sell very well is a tragedy. They were easily some of the best games of their time. I feel fortunate that I own them all.

Skies
08-18-2003, 12:59 AM
Conquest: Frontier Wars
System Shock 2
Freedom Force

voltaic
08-18-2003, 01:03 AM
Freedom Force
Seconded. I picked this up at EB for a sawbuck yesterday and have been playing ever since. It has to have sold decently though, since so many enthusiasts were into it. Anyone have any idea on sales for Freedom Force? For Liberty!

Anders Hallin
08-18-2003, 01:23 AM
Freedom Force
Seconded. I picked this up at EB for a sawbuck yesterday and have been playing ever since. It has to have sold decently though, since so many enthusiasts were into it. Anyone have any idea on sales for Freedom Force? For Liberty!
I want a (more difficult in the end-game) sequel!

electragician
08-18-2003, 05:53 AM
I actually thought Freedom Force, NOLF 1 and 2 sold pretty well.

I don't know how well it sold, but I also assumed it did fairly well. I will say this... FF almost singlehandedly rekindled my love for computer games.

The over-the-top voice acting, control scheme, camera control, multitude of character powers, storyline etc... they were all damned good, if not perfect.

Isn't there an expansion or sequel in the works for FF as well?

Bub, Andrew
08-18-2003, 07:41 AM
I've heard that Freedom Force sold poorly, but I've also heard this blamed on EA failing to advertise it or take advantage of the steller reviews. This is a shame.

Platter
10-30-2003, 10:59 AM
We did sell-through around 400k worldwide on Torment.
How long ago? Does that include the various bargain/bundle/2CD packs that have been released?

Qenan
10-30-2003, 11:27 AM
We did sell-through around 400k worldwide on Torment. There seems to be an ongoing legacy that the game did very poorly at retail, which isn't true. It actually sold more copies than the Fallouts did.

Those aren't Final Fantasy numbers, but it certainly was profitable for the company.

And given those numbers, why don't we see more games like Torment?

Matthew Gallant
10-30-2003, 11:28 AM

Sturgeon's Law?

Jaysun
10-30-2003, 11:30 AM
Europa 1400: The Guild

Platter
10-30-2003, 11:37 AM
Well, this recent post by Scott is in response to a similar question;
http://www.quartertothree.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?p=150364#149243

Qenan
10-30-2003, 04:41 PM
Well, this recent post by Scott is in response to a similar question;
http://www.quartertothree.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?p=150364#149243

I can only say that's too bad. Torment was much better than most other single-player CRPGs. (Although both fallouts were pretty good, and BG 2 was OK.)

Old Man Gravy
05-10-2004, 11:52 PM
Can't believe nobody mentioned Clive Barker's Undying.
Loved the scrye and all that creepy shit.

DrCrypt
05-11-2004, 04:07 AM
We did. (http://www.quartertothree.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=5131&postdays=0&postorder=asc&highlight=undying&start=0)

Old Man Gravy
05-11-2004, 09:49 AM
Oh... now I see why no one mentioned it. Panned! Bunch of pseudo-intellectual philistines. :D

In closing, a great quote from a PC Gameplay review:

Like a bad novel, Undying is oppressively linear.

Or like a great novel, for that matter. I'm assuming this guy is a big Choose-Your-Own-Adventure literati.

Terrific!

Oh, by the way, Scots are just highland Irish, so they all talk alike anyways.

gnmarsh
05-11-2004, 02:27 PM
Anachronox, not sure about the reviews, but still one of the best games I've played that no one else has. I really liked Iron Storm, it just had such a unique feel.