PDA

View Full Version : DVD player that I can disable Macrovision with?

XPav
02-06-2004, 10:15 AM
Hey folks,

My girlfriend does not have a DVD player. She has a TV-VCR combo, and if you plug DVD players into the front input jacks (the only ones on it), the Macrovision protection kicks in and makes any movie unwatchable. (Macrovision is the faadddeee out... become really bright!.... fade out...) stuff.

So -- seeing as I might want to get her a DVD player, and seeing as how I don't currently want to get her a whole new TV, I was wondering if anyone knew any places to go looking for DVD players where the manufacturers left the debug menu in so Macrovision can be disabled and so she could actually watch movies.

I find it really shitty, personally, that everyone with a TV-VCR combo is screwed over in this matter.

jeffjones
02-06-2004, 12:06 PM
Does the TV not have rear side A/V or S-Video inputs?

/edit: "the only ones on it"

d'oh. I should learn to read more better!

Ok, I don't know any DVD players that fit your criteria, but I would certainly not tolerate a TV such as that.

For my bedroom, I got a 20" superflat Apex TV, with 3 line comb filter, and 3 A/V inputs (including component vid and S-vid) at Circuit City for $129.

Nice picture, too. I think they are made by Toshiba.

Kyle Wilson
02-06-2004, 12:11 PM
http://www.lik-sang.com/info.php?products_id=2950&likref=froogle

DennyA
02-06-2004, 12:39 PM
Kyle's device is probably the way to go since it'll let you use any cheap player (and with that TV, I don't think you'll be looking at a high-end progressive scan DVD player).

But if you want to find DVD players that have anti-macrovision hacks available, check out DVDrHelp. (www.dvdrhelp.com/dvdhacks.php).

Kevin Grey
02-06-2004, 01:25 PM
I just bought a LITE-ON LVD-2001 off of Ebay. Using the "secret menu" you can:

1) Disable Macrovision
2) Enable 480p to 1080i conversion via component output*
3) Make the player region-free: plays DVDs from around the world**

*This is the only player on the market that I know of that will do the 480p to 1080i conversion via component output. Other players with this ability do it via DVI output, evidentally due to copy protection requirements. Unfortunately there are a lot of us out there without DVI inputs. The picture improvement on almost any DVD can be very dramatic with 1080i enabled. Picture quality is incredible.

This model was only the on the market a very short time before being pulled because of the secret menu settings. The newer models (LVD-2002,etc) do not allow the region-free, 480p/1080i conversions. Consequently this player is very rare since they were all snapped up by Home Theater buffs very rapidly.

**Now I can go ahead and order the Region 3 City of God instead of waiting until June for it to hit DVD in America. And finally get Hero which Miramax has been sitting on for years and will likely release edited for American audiences.