PDA

View Full Version : Lumosity - worth the money or somewhat scammy?

Blips
01-02-2012, 02:58 PM
I was using Dictionary.com early today when a banner for Lumosity (http://www.lumosity.com) popped up. Curious, I clicked the link to see what it was about. Turns out it's a "brain training" service that provides challenges / tests / etc and records your results all in the name of helping you improve your mental faculties.

I make a quick temp account and tried it out. Unfortunately it just seems to be a collection of fairly basic flash games. All throughout the registration process and completing the 3 tests, I was curious of how the website / company was actually making money. Turns out that when you create an account, you're only provided 3 free days - after that you must pay via PayPal or Credit to unlock the full and continued use of the service.

Now the question / issue: I've a temperature, a swollen throat and burning eyes (fantastic way to start off the new year I know!). Despite this, I managed to score an average of 85% (I'm in the top 16%) when compared to the other users on the site after having completed the 3 tests. Does anyone think that playing some flash games and having your stats recorded is worth time and money? Will these games / tests even amount to any significant cognitive improvements? And what kind of user base do they have if I managed to beat 84% of them while sick on just my first day?

I'd love to hear your guys' thoughts on the service!

Hans Lauring
01-02-2012, 03:15 PM
I remember reading when all the DS Brain Training games were coming out, that there was no evidence that they permanently improved anything - of course they can never hurt nd might sharpen some aspect of your brain. Like memory.

I tried 3 games, and they were quite fun - didn't get an assesment on how I did in reagrds to others, because they wanted money (how did you get that?). While I could see my self spending a few minutes every other day, I'd never pay a monthly fee.

RichVR
01-02-2012, 03:19 PM
I sharpen my brain by not clicking on banners. YMMV.

Blips
01-02-2012, 03:22 PM
I tried 3 games, and they were quite fun - didn't get an assesment on how I did in reagrds to others, because they wanted money (how did you get that?).

In the Brain Profile page, there is a link below your scores labeled "see how you compare to others". It'll give you a general score out of 100, on where you stand within the community but all the detailed information is obstructed with "unlock now" buttons.

TurinTuramba
01-02-2012, 04:36 PM
You will see good cognitive improvements in solving those types of tests and you will perform somewhat better overall compared to someone who does not stimulate his brain at all.
I guess if you find nothing else to stimulate your brain they can be useful. I'd recommend some fun games instead.

Timemaster Tim
01-02-2012, 06:16 PM
I just do the sudoku and crossword puzzles in the newspaper.

Miramon
01-02-2012, 07:17 PM

Well said.

Aszurom
01-02-2012, 07:40 PM
Waiting on Lum to show up...

RichVR
01-02-2012, 07:56 PM
Waiting on Lum to show up...

The fuck? What?

Blips
01-02-2012, 07:58 PM

Well it's not like I usually click on banners. Hell, given that I have noscript installed I rarely see them. But this particular ad looked possibly interesting.

And who is this Lum.. should I start running for safety?

Abilio Carvalho
01-03-2012, 01:28 AM
I was using Dictionary.com early today when a banner for Lumosity (http://www.lumosity.com) popped up. Curious, I clicked the link to see what it was about. Turns out it's a "brain training" service that provides challenges / tests / etc and records your results all in the name of helping you improve your mental faculties.

I make a quick temp account and tried it out. Unfortunately it just seems to be a collection of fairly basic flash games. All throughout the registration process and completing the 3 tests, I was curious of how the website / company was actually making money. Turns out that when you create an account, you're only provided 3 free days - after that you must pay via PayPal or Credit to unlock the full and continued use of the service.

Now the question / issue: I've a temperature, a swollen throat and burning eyes (fantastic way to start off the new year I know!). Despite this, I managed to score an average of 85% (I'm in the top 16%) when compared to the other users on the site after having completed the 3 tests. Does anyone think that playing some flash games and having your stats recorded is worth time and money? Will these games / tests even amount to any significant cognitive improvements? And what kind of user base do they have if I managed to beat 84% of them while sick on just my first day?

I'd love to hear your guys' thoughts on the service!

Wanna train your brain, pick up Go, or visit Khan Academy.

Banners. Seriously? Sheesh.

amandachen
01-03-2012, 01:35 AM
http://cognitivefun.net/

Blips
01-03-2012, 08:31 AM
Wanna train your brain, pick up Go, or visit Khan Academy.

Banners. Seriously? Sheesh.

I've seen plenty of legitimate products advertised via banners before: WoW, Starcraft 2, Gratuitous Space Battles and many DVD / Bluray releases. I'm not sure what the issue is.

That said however, thank you for reminding me of Khan Academy! I had heard of it a few years ago but I had totally forgotten of it since.

lesslucid
01-05-2012, 05:34 AM
There's a free memorisation-flashcard program called Anki.

http://ankisrs.net/

...I've been using it to learn Indonesian vocab, but it's got all kinds of things. If you want to learn something new, give it a go.

Blips
01-05-2012, 10:39 AM
There's a free memorisation-flashcard program called Anki.

http://ankisrs.net/

...I've been using it to learn Indonesian vocab, but it's got all kinds of things. If you want to learn something new, give it a go.

Thanks, I'll check it out tonight.

Side note: forget lumosity. They couldn't even manage to properly give me my 3rd free day. I also noticed their game list actually features a number of duplicates - seems they like giving existing games facelifts and new titles.

And ironically, it was their attempt to establish legitimacy by plastering their front page with known brands that was the initial cause of my doubt of their service.