PDA

View Full Version : Verizon refuses to help locate body of missing woman for 4 days.

Midnight Son
09-18-2008, 05:44 AM
http://consumerist.com/5051343/verizon-refuses-to-help-locate-body-of-missing-woman-for-four-days

Verizon, which has no problem helping the government spy on its customers, suddenly turned stupid in June when a police department asked them for help finding the body of a woman who had been abducted on camera. Despite pleas from the woman's parents, the police, and the FBI, it was four days (http://www.myfoxkc.com/myfox/pages/Home/Detail?contentId=7448788&version=5&locale=EN-US&layoutCode=VSTY&pageId=1.1.1) before a technician was sent out to the appropriate cell tower. When that technician gave the police the location info, they found Kelsey Smith's body within 45 minutes. Verizon won't respond to requests for an explanation of why they couldn't help sooner. The Johnson County District Attorney, Phill Kline, told Fox News that Verizon not only seemed unhelpful, but possibly incompetent:
We did have a problem with Verizon. We're talking about 3 hours afterwards, they [the police] were already pushing for this information, with the sergeant speaking to Verizon directly at 2:30 a.m., demanding that this information be provided and it wasn't.
There was a lack of understanding on their end of what they were incapable of doing. I was on the conference call with Verizon, and we had three technicians telling us different things and using different terms, and we can't guess their mind. We've got a girl that's missing. We have a girl that's missing, we have a likely abduction, we need to find her.
Everyone involved in the search has made it clear that Verizon's incompetence had nothing to do with Kelsey's death, but it could have made the search a lot shorter, and saved a lot of people unnecessary grief. Unfortunately, when Verizon's president met with Kline and Kelsey's parents two months later, he brought three lawyers with him for protection.
Good news!! They didn't really refuse, they're just totally incompetent assholes.

Jason McMaster
09-18-2008, 05:58 AM
wow, bringing lawyers with him to meet bereaved parents. Classy!

mystery
09-18-2008, 06:02 AM
I've known a lot of people that have worked in the customer service department at Verizon, both at the consumer and the business level, and they'd agree: The company is a massive fuckup, and the CEO is Satan's younger brother.

Aeon221
09-18-2008, 06:32 AM
"Verizon -- We never stop working for you... unless you're dead, in which case fuck off."

Matt Bowyer
09-18-2008, 06:41 AM
That entire Kelsey Smith thing still makes me shiver -- I was at the Target from which she was abducted earlier that day. We live about three minutes from it.

And geez, that's terrible. I hadn't been reading about Verizon's incompetence. What the hell?

PeterGinsberg
09-18-2008, 06:55 AM
Good news!! They didn't really refuse, they're just totally incompetent assholes.

I'm someone with a lot of patience for corporate bureaucracy, and I've dealt more or less happily with some pretty unreliable companies.

None of them even begins to come close to the incompetence of Verizon. I've had to set up phone or internet service with them around 10 times, and not once did they get it set up right the first time. I've also noticed that your almost always get different answers from each person you talk to on the phone, and usually none of them are right.

I'm not surprised they bungled this as well, they literally can't do anything right.

Omniscia
09-18-2008, 08:22 AM
It could be worse. Fairpoint bought out the Verizon landlines around here, and we promptly lost online bill-pay and, on occasion, 911 service.

I get plenty of cards in the mail touting their triple-play bundle despite the fact that the lines in this neighborhood are too old to support DSL, and the trees are too tall for satellite television.

And I once spent over an hour on the phone with customer service, trying to schedule a service call for some elderly clients of ours, being bounced between Verizon and Fairpoint as neither would claim responsibility for the outage. "Don't talk to me, that's Verizon's fault!" "WTF, we sold the lines to Fairpoint! Bother them." "Not my problem. Call X at Verizon." "How did you get this number? No one's supposed to have it."

It didn't help matters that their customer service lines were somehow cross-linked, so every time I tried to call the local service center, I'd get transferred to another state.

Finally, some Verizon engineer took pity on our clients and pushed it through even though it should have been Fairpoint's ball.

ElGuapo
09-18-2008, 08:27 AM
Hey, obviously she wasn't going to pay her cell phone bill. What's in it for them?

/jerks

Aleck
09-18-2008, 08:57 AM
The company is a massive fuckup, and the CEO is Satan's younger brother.

Doesn't that describe every phone company out there?

Does anyone know whether there was a court order or something issued? I can understand Verizon being somewhat hesitant given that, in June, the whole "sue the phone companies for invasion of privacy" was still very much on the table. Shitty, wrong, and poor corporate citizenship, but understandable.

extarbags
09-18-2008, 09:00 AM
To be fair, "we're just incompentant" is practically Verizon's motto, so I have no trouble believing that that's the case here.

Omniscia
09-18-2008, 09:08 AM
It's the network.

ElGuapo
09-18-2008, 10:15 AM
Can you hear me now? Good.

http://media.graytvinc.com/images/WVLT-news-body+found+no+title.jpg

Jojo
09-18-2008, 10:36 AM
Nationalise the phone companies!
/runs away from thread

dannimal
09-18-2008, 07:16 PM
Clearly, because they have a huge mass of employees following customers around to ensure them that haunted places will still get reception, no staff were left available to go help find an abducted/dead girl.