PDA

View Full Version : Games for a crappy laptop

Jakub
06-11-2008, 01:12 PM
I'm running a notebook with a 1.67GHz T5450 core duo, 2GB of RAM, and some sort of Intel on-board video that claims to be DirectX 9 or even 10 compatible, but would most likely lose a pixel-pushing race with a 3Dfx Banshee.

I figure strategy and RPG games are the best options. Turn-based stuff. Not really going to win a twitch-fest with the touchpad here. I enjoy casual games and have a decent selection of them already, so I don't need advice there.

Thoughts?

Tim James
06-11-2008, 01:40 PM
Do you have a separate numpad?

It's both funny and sad that I don't mind my wife looking at 17" laptops, because despite being huge and unwieldy, I covet that numpad for Dwarf Fortress and ADOM on the next long plane flight. :)

Marcin
06-11-2008, 01:44 PM
You can remap the DF keys; that'd be a pretty good one, actually. Also, Space Rangers 2 and decline the RTS missions.

Bad Neighbor
I'll do you one better. I just revived a left-for-dead Dell Inspiron 2600. 256MB RAM, baby. Awww yeah.

armand v
sudoku

and maybe tetris

Pogo
06-11-2008, 01:47 PM
Jagged Alliance 2 will give hours of fun on any old system

Jakub
06-11-2008, 01:49 PM
Dammit! I want the numpad now for Dwarf Fortress.... NOOOOOOOOOOO....

Tim James
06-11-2008, 01:50 PM
You can remap the DF keys; that'd be a pretty good one, actually. Also, Space Rangers 2 and decline the RTS missions.As I'm sure you know, DF is actually pretty hard on a CPU. Not sure if it uses dual cores.

I've heard about remapping the keys, but I'd rather be impractical and get the giant laptop. Especially when there are 3 or 4 different ways to move through a list in that interface, depending on what you're doing.

Tim James
06-11-2008, 01:54 PM
Dammit! I want the numpad now for Dwarf Fortress.... NOOOOOOOOOOO....
Heed its call.

http://www.diguniverse.com/images/medium/COMPUTER/SY211856.jpg

JA2 would be my first choice as well, but I'd probably kill myself playing through with a touchpad, unless there are some nice hotkeys to target and adjust accuracy.

Angie Gallant
06-11-2008, 01:56 PM
ADOM.

Jazar
06-11-2008, 01:56 PM
sudoku

and maybe tetris

C'mon it's not an abacus. I'd load up Baldur's Gate 2 or Torment, maybe some good adventure games from Lucas Arts or Sierra, Sim City 4. Panzer General is always my go to turn based strategy game.

Eric Majkut
06-11-2008, 01:59 PM
You call that a crappy laptop? Except for the video card, that's pretty speedy.

Clay
06-11-2008, 02:11 PM
How about Battle for Wesnoth? It's free, so it's at least worth a try:
http://www.wesnoth.org/

Edit: I've never played, so I can't comment on quality, though I've heard good things.

J. Matthew Zoss
06-11-2008, 02:21 PM
Puzzle Quest! A great time on any system!

nixon66
06-11-2008, 02:40 PM
I've only played DF on a notebook, and remapping the keys consists of 4 changes, nothing drastic and actually it makes everything nice and compact. I'd actually probably be lost if I had to use it with a keypad at this point.

http://www.dwarffortresswiki.net/index.php/Key_bindings

Also, another great notebook game - Cave Story - It's gotten me through a few flights.

Moore
06-11-2008, 02:49 PM
another vote for JA2. Fallouts and diablos and infinity engine stuff as well. Space rnagers 2 I can second as well. Jedi knight 2/3, sof2, should be fine, I have similar specs and they get along. mame doesnt need much to push many games... same w ps1 emulators (sans fancy graphic improvements)
cave story, arcanum, bookworm, puzzle quest, peggle. GalCiv 2 should be fine but the expansion hates intel integrated cards.

Hudson
06-11-2008, 03:00 PM
Yeah what are you talking about? That's not a crappy laptop. It's not a great gaming machine, but 2GB RAM and DirectX 10 are pretty solid.

The touchpad is the limiting factor here, not the notebook.

Aeon221
06-11-2008, 03:18 PM
Do you have a separate numpad?

It's both funny and sad that I don't mind my wife looking at 17" laptops, because despite being huge and unwieldy, I covet that numpad for Dwarf Fortress and ADOM on the next long plane flight. :)

I have a 17 incher. Good God is it awesome. But people do look at you funny when you pull it out in public. I say it's worth it for the full keyboard and the massive screen.

Jakub
06-11-2008, 03:22 PM
Yeah what are you talking about? That's not a crappy laptop. It's not a great gaming machine, but 2GB RAM and DirectX 10 are pretty solid.

The touchpad is the limiting factor here, not the notebook.
You don't understand, it's DX10 (or DX9, I forget) the way Michael Jackson is a human being. Sure, on paper, it meets the specs, but the actual performance is iffy.

Anyway, it's a decent laptop but I'm not going to be playing 3D games from even 3 years ago.

Quitch
06-11-2008, 03:29 PM
Space Rangers 2. You won't be playing the RTS sections, but since everyone who wasn't me hated them, do you care?

I also agree with JA2 (if you have a bluetooth mouse, I recommend the Logitech Revolution VX) and any good point & click you haven't played yet. Anything from Lucasarts or Revolution (the earlier the better, excluding Lure of the Temptress) is a good start. To be honest, the point and click genre suits travelling perfectly.

Armageddon Empires will run easily and that's hella fun.

For a non-twitchy RTS that will run you could give Kohan II a try.

For RPG anything from the Infinity Engine line will do. PST is my lover.

Enidigm
06-11-2008, 03:34 PM
The largest thread in the forum, and not one recommendation for Dominions 3?

Evil Steve
06-11-2008, 03:42 PM
or GC2-TA?

curst
06-11-2008, 03:43 PM
I have a very similar setup, and while it's fantastic for most things, ultra-high-end 3D gaming is not one of them. In fact, the Intel card I have (a 945GM) prevents me from even running several modern games, let alone run them well. Titan Quest and The Witcher simply won't start.

I think it's the lack of vRAM. As long as I have enough of that, I can get any game to run by using a shader-emulator like 3DAnalyze, but performance will almost always be poor since I have to rely on software emulation of some features. For instance, I have to reduce Painkiller's details to a tragic extent to get consistently good performance. I might as well just replay Serious Sam at that point.

But if the game demands too much vRAM, then I'm out of luck.

Having said all this, I'm amazed at how well STALKER ran on my laptop, aside from some graphical glitches. As an added bonus, it's a pretty great game too. If you want to try a vaguely RPG-ish FPS, don't mind decent but rough graphics and the occasional bug, I'm not sure you can beat STALKER. I'm not sure there's even another game similar to it.

Oh yeah and it should go without saying that Space Rangers 2 is the best answer for any "what PC game should I buy if..." question. I don't know if it's even possible to get bored of it.

Pogo
06-11-2008, 03:56 PM
Also, I don't see how touchpad comes into this equation since any optical mouse will let you play a non-twitch game on a crappy surface, such as your own lap.

NuclearWinter
06-11-2008, 04:03 PM
Civ 4 plus expansions should run fine on it.

gordonrumble
06-11-2008, 04:03 PM
I'd recommend Escape Velocity: Nova. Fun 2D space shooter game, no heavy mousing at all. Only to click menu buttons.

I'm playing it right now; it's undeniably amazing. Great game, open storyline, multiple paths, cool ships, etc,etc.

Skipper
06-11-2008, 05:13 PM
Just about anything off Home of the Underdogs. Some great yesterday'ish strategy action, like Space Rangers 2 maybe some good current strategy action too like HoI2 or Europa Universalis. Railroad Tycoon 3, probably even the newer Sid Meier's Pirates!

For RPG's I'd go with the older Baldurs Gate, KOTOR, Elder Scrolls: Morrowind, and Planescape: Torment.

You get used to the trackpad. Like one long plane trip and you're a pro at it. And for what it's worth I have worse specs on my business laptop and keep myself occupied with Space Rangers 2 and Railroad Tycoon 3.

awdougherty
06-11-2008, 05:24 PM
Darklands

TylerG
06-11-2008, 05:56 PM
Imperialism 2

Hammet
06-12-2008, 03:54 AM
I'n having craploads of fun with Hearts of Iron 2:Doomsday with the Armageddon expansion if that's your thing. I guess any Paradox game with the EU engine would work fine. Probably the good old Combat Mission Pack would work great on it too. And Jagged Alliance 2.

Pishtaco
06-12-2008, 05:33 AM
I'n having craploads of fun with Hearts of Iron 2:Doomsday with the Armageddon expansion if that's your thing. I guess any Paradox game with the EU engine would work fine. Probably the good old Combat Mission Pack would work great on it too. And Jagged Alliance 2.
EUIII has problems with some of the intel cards.

Moore
06-12-2008, 06:08 AM
Yeah, the one in my laptop shits itself e/ the EU titles.... and it is a newer one that is half ok in most things.

Oh, yeah, psi-ops works really good, oddly.

interman
06-12-2008, 06:19 AM
I will be spending a fair number of hours this summer playing SNES RPGs on my laptop. No proper gaming sys and no consoles means you have to get creative.

MSUSteve
06-12-2008, 07:02 AM
When I was still in school (a couple of years ago) I used to play Jones in the Fast Lane during class on my crappy laptop. Do you guys remember that game? It was essentially a board game where you lived your life, investing time between eating, going to work, shopping, and going to school. You could race against computer players or simply play by yourself. It was awesome.

zengonzo
06-12-2008, 07:04 AM
'You spend the weekend examining yourself under fluorescent lighting. Lose 2 confidence points.'

MSUSteve
06-12-2008, 07:08 AM
'You spend the weekend examining yourself under fluorescent lighting. Lose 2 confidence points.'
HA HA! Yeah man, that's it! Jones in the Fast Lane could be a cool XBLA release now that I think about it.

zengonzo
06-12-2008, 07:20 AM
I can't disagree. I didn't get to play much of it, as it was my cousin's. But it was pretty unique at the time.

There's an independent series called Kudos that behaves similarly, though it's a bit less polished than Fast Lane, even with age.

MSUSteve
06-12-2008, 07:28 AM
I can't imagine there are too many people that remember Jones in the Fast Lane, so it seems unlikely that Sierra, or whoever holds the rights to that property, would ever resurrect it. Maybe some XBLA dev somewhere has fond memories of the game and will make a clone, updated for modern day. It would certainly be a welcome change of pace as compared to many of the games on the service.

Moore
06-12-2008, 07:28 AM
HA HA! Yeah man, that's it! Jones in the Fast Lane could be a cool XBLA release now that I think about it.

That'd be great. sierra does love them someXBLA, so maybe....

zengonzo
06-12-2008, 07:30 AM
It's certainly one that doesn't require a slick engine or hardcore programming as much as dedication to balance and polish.

So, yeah, not sexy enough.

MSUSteve
06-12-2008, 07:34 AM
Definitely. Clever writing would be the most important asset in the game. It seems like the graphics and gameplay could be accomplished fairly easily, but if the humor and cleverness weren't there, the game would be a waste.

Slainte Mhath
06-12-2008, 12:21 PM
I'll do you one better. I just revived a left-for-dead Dell Inspiron 2600. 256MB RAM, baby. Awww yeah.

Warlords III
Warcraft II
Kohan: Immortal Sovereigns
Baldur's Gate Series
Icewind Dale Series
Heroes of Might & Magic III
Disciples : Sacred Lands
Imperialism II
plenty of good time killers will still run on that portable way-back machine!

Rob Beschizza
06-12-2008, 12:28 PM
DF works fine without a number pad, you just have to be careful what you remap.

Wobbo
06-12-2008, 02:08 PM
When I was still in school (a couple of years ago) I used to play Jones in the Fast Lane during class on my crappy laptop. Do you guys remember that game? It was essentially a board game where you lived your life, investing time between eating, going to work, shopping, and going to school. You could race against computer players or simply play by yourself. It was awesome.

My mother was in love with that game. Man this post takes me back, gotta go find that cd.

While Alpha Centauri has the unfortunate flaw of hard-drive access causing a too much battery drain, that's a small price to play for the greatest turn based game of all ever. Makes an hour feel like 10 minutes.

MSUSteve
06-12-2008, 02:27 PM
I don't know if this is kosher, and I apologize profusely if it's not, but I couldn't find my old 3.5" disks and my laptop didn't have a drive anyway, so I believe I was able to get Jones from an abandonware site.

zengonzo
06-12-2008, 02:43 PM
Very cool - let us know how it holds up.

magnet
06-12-2008, 03:59 PM
Startopia
Outcast
Sins of a Solar Empire