PDA

View Full Version : Decoding military addresses and sending packages overseas

TimElhajj
06-21-2003, 01:47 AM
I have a friend in the army. I would like to get a sense for what part of Iraq she is in, and what sort of assignments her group is being tasked with. I read the updates on Iraq, but I can't figure out from her address what group she is with. Being ex-Navy, I don't have a clue how they organize the Army. Are there any ex-Army folks here who can help me understand what this address means:

478th TC CO / 346th TC BN
APO AE 09366

Also, is anyone else sending stuff over there? What are you sending? I am trying to figure out what would make a nice care package. It appears to take a few weeks for letter to get though and it's incredibly hot, so I guess baked goods and ice cream are out. Ideas?

Matthew Gallant
06-21-2003, 06:34 AM
APO's are used to prevent revealing the soldier's location. The only thing you know from that address is that the mail is initially going to Europe (AE).

The only information you can get from the unit designation is that she's in a transportation unit (TC is short for Transportation Corps). She hauls supplies, or maybe even the mail you want to send her.

As for what to send her, I don't know her. Here is a list of generally cool stuff that I found:

Hard candy (individually wrapped)
Slim Jims, beef sticks, beef jerky
Ready to serve canned foods (tuna, stews, soups, hash, etc.)
Nuts, dried fruit, trail mix
Coffee bags (like Folgers coffee singles)
AA Batteries
Prepaid phone cards
Moisturizing lotion
Waterless hand sanitizer
Chapstick
Wet wipes
Sun block
Eye drops
Underwear & socks
Large handkerchiefs

TimElhajj
06-21-2003, 09:09 AM
Wow, good ideas Mathew! It's all so practical... This young lady was our nanny when the kids were just infants. I bet she was only like 17 when she worked for us. I still think of her as a kid and can't shake wanting to send her goodies and treats. :) She would probably appreciate your ideas much better.

Thanks for the tips about the address too. I guess that makes sense now that they wouldn't want you to be able to decode the address. In the Navy I seem to remember being able to tell people the name of my boat, and I always see ship movements in the paper. I guess it's different for soldiers.

Lunch of Kong
06-21-2003, 06:09 PM
In the Navy I seem to remember being able to tell people the name of my boat

It's different now. The post office no longer delivers to "Tim Elhajj, Somewhere in the Indian Ocean..."

:D

I lived overseas as a DoD brat from 1981-1991. Up until 1990, we had APO NY addresses. Then the DOD switched over to the APO/FPO AE/AP/AA system. Navy bases, ships, and boats have FPO addresses. Airforce and Army have APO addresses. The AE and AP designation determine whether it gets routed to Europe or the Pacific (AA is within the Americas). The zip codes stand for actual regions, but I don't know the specifics.

I used to be:
Roger Wong
PSC 50 Box 475
APO AE 09494

wumpus
06-21-2003, 08:45 PM
MISTA WONG!

TimElhajj
06-21-2003, 08:58 PM
It's different now. The post office no longer delivers to "Tim Elhajj, Somewhere in the Indian Ocean..."

Well, here is my dirty little secret. My boat never got out of dry dock with me on it. :) I was a landlubber my entire enlistment. Well, except for that one time when I was stationed on Ford Island and had to take the small boat to get to Pearl. We actually did talk the pilot into taking the skiff out past the breakers... very scary shit. I was glad when we were back at the dock.

lucydale
06-21-2011, 08:01 PM
If the address says:

4HC 4-3 (PMO)
APO-AE 09396
How do I read this? What does any of this mean?

Lamalo
06-22-2011, 01:35 AM
Careful, that's a terrorist lookin' for a target.

Lizard_King
06-22-2011, 10:19 AM
If the address says:

4HC 4-3 (PMO)
APO-AE 09396
How do I read this? What does any of this mean?

APO-AE 09396 is the equivalent of a state + zip code, except in this case it is one of a small number of major mail collection sites (Army Post Office - Europe (includes Middle East and others)). You can read more about it here (http://askville.amazon.com/FPO-AE-FRIEND-ACTIVE-DUTY-FIND/AnswerViewer.do?requestId=11367375).

4HC 4-3 (PMO) is a little more opaque than mine was, but the army is a more complex beast than the Marines in terms of bureaucratic organization. It's the unit and squad/subunit designation, and (just guessing) the addressee is in the Headquarters Company (HC) of a military police (Provost Marshal's Office/PMO) unit. That's just off the top of my head with what those acronyms would likely have meant in my experience, so ymmv. However, at least you know it's not a location code but rather an abbreviation for their unit.