PDA

View Full Version : Oblivion Question - How do I Train Athletics & Security?

Sharpe
08-26-2006, 07:32 AM
I am messing around with Oblivion again and I'd like to pay a trainer to raise my athletics skill. My skill is 40 so I need the mid-level trainers. The strategy guide says the two trainers are Hauls Rope Faster in Anvil and Honditar in Chorral. I've found both of these trainers but neither one offers the icon to train. Both of them will talk about training in dialog but they don't offer it. I know that sometimes NPCs are "off duty" while eating, sleeping etc so I followed each one through a 24 hour day, with no luck. There was no time when they offered to train.

I had a similiar experience with a previous character with the security trainer.

I know that for the Master trainers (skill 70+) you have to do a quest to open them up to training. But for the other skills, the 40-70 trainers just train you no questions asked.

So how do I train athletics? This is annoying me :). Amy I doing something wrong or is the strategy guide incorrect?

Kaigen
08-26-2006, 07:34 AM
Maybe they don't like you enough?

Sharpe
08-26-2006, 07:45 AM
I did butter them up to over 70 disposition, just in case that was the problem - no change.

Chris Nahr
08-26-2006, 07:56 AM
The mid-level trainers seemed to occasionally malfunction in my game, too. Some would train me and some wouldn't. I could never figure out why.

Daly
08-26-2006, 08:11 AM
This goes against the spirit of the game really but if it's a bug then you can work around it by casting 'drain attribute' on yourself or an item of clothing to lower your skill so the lower level trainers can train you. Then when the spell wears off or you remove the cursed garment your skill will have improved above its original level.

Robert Sharp
08-26-2006, 08:58 AM
Are the trainers associated with a guild of which you are not a member?

Talorc
08-26-2006, 09:59 AM
Possibly you need to have a low level trainer tell you about the mid level one to unlock them?

Demon G Sides
08-26-2006, 10:52 AM
How about.... Run around, instead of fast travelling, and swimming?

Pick some locks! I leveled my Knight to a high security skill just on picking locks.

In fact, i've never used a trainer. Seemed foolish to me to waste my vast amounts of pocket cash on something as unnecessary as a trainer.

Sharpe
08-26-2006, 11:25 AM
Are the trainers associated with a guild of which you are not a member?

I am a member of all four of the guilds (fighters, mages, theives and assassins) in good standing so I don't think that's it.

Hauls Rope Faster is really the annoying one - I can hit the dialog for "Anvil" and he will say something like "I hate this town but if I train you and you pay me, no problem". This strongly implies that he does train people but he wont train me, the bastage :). And I buttered him up to over 80 disposition!